Creeping Jaw Society
Creeping Jaw Society is a sometime musical project based on whim and fancy, but mainly rhythm based music and ambient whirring. The live output of CJS is akin to the best and worst of the click and cut/glitch dynamic. The recorded output is something closer to the refinement of Ryoji Ikeda mixed with the disjointed skipping of Oval.
The most recent Creeping Jaw Society project was a collaborative effort with Chris Stokes on the short film Sky Attack, for which CJS provided the soundtrack. The full piece, in HD, can be view here
Available for free download in the audio archive:
– WDT003: Remixemedial
More info on this release can be found on the WDT/VSTM archive page
– WDT007: The Properties of Song
– Election Special EP (from May 6th 2010): Brand new material made in the run up to the 2010 General Election
– Piano Tragic (from the album Nine Works for Piano)
Piano Tragic, which was the second track of the nine, was constructed using left over piano parts I had recorded five years previously at Luton VIth Form College, as well as single notes culled from a friends piano. The idea was to create a piece that had some emotion to it, but one built around the development of generative effects, and not just ‘a man playing a sad piano song’. I like to think it works…it at least turned out the way I heard it in my head.
The song was also used as the starting point for Robin Van Rijn’s video of the same name, which I believe was inspired by a dream he had of an exploding piano. The marriage between the visuals and the song are pretty sweet.
– Spinning Plaits (unreleased reworking of a Radiohead track)
I’m not 100% sure when, or indeed why, I made this but it is essentially a heavily effected version of me singing the song ‘I Will’ by Radiohead, then reversing it and distorting it until it sounds like some kind of haunted sea rolling up the shore.
– Mark Rothko’s Rectangle (from the album The Properties of Song)
Properties of Song was primarily a cathartic experience for me, and represented the first time I felt the need to move away from the ambient/soundscape work I had started with Heroines. The eventual direction of Creeping Jaw, as you can hear in the live mixes, is considerably more dance orientated, but this represents a tentative step; a slow, melodic exploration of song I played at the piano with Lee Broughall at some stage in 2001/02 in a quiet part of the college amidst drink cans and a stringless double bass.
– Live at PR3 Parts 1 and 2
The 2 part live session was recorded on the 8th of December at The Edge Nightclub in Luton, Beds. Creeping Jaw was the opening act of PR3, a night of music put on largely by Daniel Lippard with assistance from members of what was then known as VSTM Records. My apologies for any inconsistency in the recording. The week prior to this gig I had broken two ribs following a biking accident and was semi heavily dosed up on prescription painkillers. This should account for any/all mistakes (there are numerous kinds I hear)
The set is made up of my own audio chicanery alongside parts of/larger chunks of music from other musicians. They are as follows:
1. Alva Noto – u_03 (from the album Unitxt)
2. Byetone – Black is Black (from the album Death of a Typographer)
3. Fennesz – Vacuum (from the album Black Sea)
4. Ryoji Ikeda – Back in Black (from the album Recovery)
5. Donnacha Costello – Your New God (from the album Together Is The New Alone)
6. Justus Kohncke – Tilda (from the album Safe and Sound)
7. Luomo – Love You All (from the album Convivial)